Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Girl with Tangled Hair

The Girl with Tangled Hair, January 20, 2013

This happens to be one of my most popular videos although it was drawn only 20 days after officially starting my channel.

I very clearly remember drawing this girl and thinking it was going to be my channel "hit" for the year. It really represented a time in my life where I was depressed. I was in a lot of pain, I lived someplace I hated and I wasn't getting enough editing clients so I could do anything beyond pay bills. There was more going on too, which I won't get into here but believe me, it wasn't a good time. I let my depression become my inspiration and I'm pretty sure that shows in this drawing.

I still like this drawing, but mainly because of what it represents. The technical aspects are pretty bad. I have no shading because I was afraid of ruining the drawing. I remember REALLY wanting to add shading but being terrified I would do it wrong. The nose is too large. As a matter of fact, every time I look at this, my eye goes straight to her nose and that's all I can focus on. Her hairline is too far back.
 
That being said, there are things I think I did well. I love her eyebrows and eyelashes. I like how gentle and "deep in thought" she looks and I like that I can almost feel the breeze going through her hair.
 
There are a lot of things that inspire me and I don't talk about the more personal things on my YouTube channel. I think depression can be inspirational in many ways. You just have to be willing to let the pain of it all flow straight out through the pen.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment